Amit Chourasia is a Sr. Visualization Scientist at the San Diego Supercomputer Center, UC San Diego where he leads the Visualization Group. His work is focused on leading the research, development and application of software tools and techniques for visualization. Key area of his work is to develop methods to represent data in a visual form that is clear, succinct and accurate (a challenging yet very exciting endeavor). He has had an opportunity to work with research groups in diverse science and engineering disciplines and contends that with the help of visualization, domain and data scientists can visually validate and investigate their data, explore and gain significant insights as well as share results within and outside their community.
Computing is ephemeral, but data wills to persist: Result and data sharing are also a forefront of his interests, to this end he has developed a modular web based cloud infrastructure to enable this important and at times critical gap in scientific process via the SeedMe2 project.
Industry engagement: With data science becoming increasingly important beyond academia, he is providing consulting and training to Industry.
Amit's application and research interests are in area of computer graphics, visualization and ubiquitous data sharing. He received a Master's degree in Computers Graphics Technology from Purdue University, West Lafayette and a Baccalaureate degree in Architecture (Honors) from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. Notable accolades for his work include Honorable Mention at International Science & Engineering Visualization Challenge 2010, Outstanding Achievement in Scientific Visualization award at the SciDAC 2011 and 2009 conference and Best Visualization Display award at TeraGrid 2011 and 2008. His visualization work has been featured at Siggraph Animation Festival, Siggraph Real Time Demos, documentaries by National Geographic and History Channel and many other news and media outlets.
He is a member of Visualization and Graphics Technical Committee and serves as a reviewer for journals, magazines and conferences including Computer, Computers & Geosciences, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Computing in Science and Engineering, Euro Vis and Internet Computing, Future Generation Computer Systems, Science Gateways, International Symposium on Visual Computing, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, PEARC Conference, XSEDE Research Allocation Service (XRAS), Supercomputing and Vis Conferences.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Scientific community service
- Awards Chair, PEARC19
- Area Chair, Demonstration: Gateways 2019
- Program Committee, ISVC 2019
- Grant Proposal Reviewer x 2, NSF, 2018
- Award Committee, LDAV 2018 Best paper award
- Program Committee, ISVC 2018, LDAV 2018
- XSEDE Research Allocation Service Reviewer x 3, XRAS, 2017
- Grant Proposal Reviewer x 2, NSF, 2017
- Grant Proposal Reviewer, NASA, 2017
- Invited Attendee, NSF CMMI data infrastructure workshop, Arlington, VA, 2017
- Panel Moderator, 1st NSF Data Infrastructure Building Block (DIBBS) PI Workshop, Arlington, VA, 2017
- Program Committee, SC 2017
- Area Chair, SciVis contest, IEEE Vis 2017
- XSEDE allocation Reviewer, XRAS, 2016
- Best Poster Committee, IEEE LDAV 2016
- Program Committee, SC 2016
- Advisor, SciVis Contest, IEEE Vis 2011-2016
- Area Chair, Visualization Showcase, XSEDE15
- Program Committee, ISVC 2015, LDAV 2015, SC 2015
- Area Co-Chair, Exhibits, IEEE Vis 2013-2014
- Program Committee, ISVC 2014, SC 2014
- Panelist and Program Committee, NIST workshop on Enabling Science From Big Image Data, 2014
- Area Co-Chair, Exhibits, IEEE Vis 2013
- Program Committee, ISVC 2013
- Area Co-Chair, Publicity, IEEE Vis 2012
- Area Chair, Visualization Showcase, XSEDE12
- Program Committee, ISVC 2012
- Program Committee, ISVC 2011
- Area Chair, SciVis Contest, IEEE VIS 2010
- Program Committee, ISVC 2010
- Grant Proposal Reviewer, Indo-US Science and Technology Forum
- Area Chair, SciVis Contest, IEEE VIS 2009
- Area Co-Chair, SciVis Contest, IEEE VIS 2008
- Prior years not available